Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yelping with Cormac McCarthy

Cormac McCarthy is one of the most important living American novelists, and really one of the most important American novelists of all time. More subjectively, I recommend Blood Meridian as his best. The Road was popular, but cannibals roasting babies isn't really my deal. And his novel Child of God was recommended to me by a female scholar from the Czech Republic--she told me she reads it every Christmas day. Now, I would not recommend that...

Follow this link to a humorous writer imagining if Cormac McCarthy wrote Yelp reviews.

2 comments:

  1. But Indians hanging babies from branches like some kind of macabre Christmas tree is your thing?

    I have Child of God sitting unread. Perhaps Christmas Day will be a fine time to crack it open.

    There is nothing like infanticide on a Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Kent, I was too frivolous in my remarks. For me, the real difference is that the gore and violence of The Road seems like purposeless aesthetic enjoyment of suffering, whereas Blood Meridian is, along with No Country for Old Men, a painful but purposefully painful depiction of the violence upon which part of U.S. history is firmly built. I cannot recommend Child of God because I align it with The Road in providing damaging imagery that I dont' find particularly engaged with ethical narration and literary analysis.

    ReplyDelete